Effect of Combination of Carbopol-940 Base and HPMC Gel Extract of Aloe Vera Flesh on Physical Properties and Antibacterial Activity of Propionibacterium acnes
Aloe vera (Aloe chinensis Barker.) has been shown to be efficacious as an antibacterial which has the potential to treat acne caused by the bacteria Propionibacterium acnes. The use of this combination can increase the viscosity, dissolution, diffusion, and bioavailability of the preparation. This study aims to determine the effect of the combination of Carbopol base and HPMC as a gelling agent on the physical properties and antibacterial activity of aloe vera gel against P. acnes bacteria. Aloe vera flesh extract was obtained using 70% ethanol maceration method. The gel preparation has an active substance concentration of 0.50% using a combination base of Carbopol:HPMC with a ratio of 1.00:0.50; 0.75:0.75; and 0.50:1.00. The tests included tests of adhesion, dispersibility, and viscosity as well as measurement of antibacterial activity by measuring the diameter of the inhibition zone formed on the media. The resulting data from the physical properties of the gel were analyzed by linear regression correlation. While the data on the results of the antibacterial activity were analyzed by statistical tests using the ANOVA method. The results showed that with increasing concentration of HPMC, the adhesive power and viscosity decreased, but the dispersion power increased. The three gel formulations had different zones of inhibition due to differences in diffusion that occurred in the test medium.
Keywords: Aloe Vera, Gel, Propionibacterium Acnes.
- Arunkumar, S., and Muthudelvam, M., 2009, Analysis of Phytochemical Constituents and Antimicrobial Activities of Aloe vera L. Against Clinical Pathogens, World Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 5(5): 574-575.
- Bashir, A., Saeed, B., Mujahid, TY, and Jehan, N., 2011, Comparative Study of Antimicrobial Activities of Aloe Vera Extract and Antibiotics Against Isolates from Skin Infection, African Journal of Biotechnology, 10(19): 3835 -3838. ISSN: 1684-5315.
- Chatterjee, P., Chakraborty, B., and Nandy, S., 2013., Aloe Vera Plant: Review with Significant Pharmacological Activity, Mintage Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Sciences, 21-24. ISSN: 2320-2315.
- Davis, WW and Stout, TR (1971). Plate Methods of Microbiological Antibiotic Assay. Applied Microbiology, 22(4): 666-670.
- Garg, A., Anggarwal, D., Garg, S., and Singla, AK, 2002, Spreading of Semisolid Formulation and Update, Pharmaceutical Technology, 90.
- Harborne, JB., 1987, Phytochemical Methods, Guide to Modern Ways of Analyzing Plants, translated by Kasasih Padamawinta and Iwang Sidiro, ITB Publishers, Bandung, 109-115.
- Islam, MT, Hornedo, NR, Ciotti, S., and Ackermann, C., 2004, Rheological Characterization of Topical Carbomer Gels Neutralized to Different pH, Pharmaceutical Research, 21(7): 1192.
- Kumar, KPS, Bhowmik, D. , Chiranjib., and Biswajir., 2010, Aloe vera: A Potential Herb and Its Medicinal Importance, Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 2(1): 21-29. ISSN: 0975-7384.
- Panjaitan, EN, Saragih, A., and Purba, D., 2012, Gel Formulation of Red Ginger Rhizome Extract (Zingiber officinale Roscoe), Journal of Pharmaceutics and Pharmacology, 1(1): 9-20.
- Quinones, D., and Ghaly, ES, 2008, Formulation and Characterization of Nystatin Gel, PRHSJ, 27(1): 61-62.
- Rajeswari, R., Umadevi, M., Rahale, CS, Pushpa, R., Selvavenkadesh, S., Kumar, KPS, and Bhowmik, D., 2013, Aloe vera: The Miracle Plant Its Medicinal and Traditional Uses in India, Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 4(1): 118-125. ISSN: 2278-4136.
- Ravisankar, P., Koushik, O. S., Himaja, V., Ramesh, J., & Pragna, P. (2015). Acne-causes and amazing remedial measures for acne. J Pharm Res, 5.Riddle, CC, 2007, A Review of Azithromycin for the Treatment of Acne Vulgaris, Cosmetic Dermatology, 5(20): 209-301.
- Roudhatini, 2013, Testing the Effectiveness of Anti-Acne Gel Preparations Essential Oil Leaves of Jeruk Sambal (X Citrofortunella microcarpa (Baunge) Wijnands) Against Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis, Manuscript Publication, Pontianak.
- Sawarkar, HA, Khadabadi, SS, Mankar, DM, Farooqui, IA, and Jagtap, NS, 2010, Development and Biological Evaluation of Herbal Anti-Acne Gel, International Journal of PharmTech Research, 2(3): 2030. ISSN: 0974 - 4304.
- Titik, H. (2018). Uji Karakteristik Fisika Kimia Dan Aktivitas Antibakteri Krim Ekstrak Etanol Daun Suji (Pleomele Angutifolia) Kombinasi Emulgator Asam Stearat Dan Trietanolamin (Doctoral dissertation, Universitas Wahid Hasyim Semarang).
- Tjiwapathi, S., Ramasubramanian, V., Sivakumar, T., and Thirumalai Arasu, V., 2010, Antimicrobial Activity of Aloe vera L. Against Pathogenic Microorganisms, Journal of Biosciences Research, 1(4): 251- 258. ISSN: 0976-2272.
- Thu, K., Mon, YY, Khaing, TA and Tun, OM, 2013, Study on Phytochemical Properties, Antibacterial Activity and Cytotoxicity od Aloe vera L., World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology., 77 : 97-101.
- Voigt, R., 1984, Pharmaceutical Technology Textbook Edition V, translated by Soendani Noerono Soewandi, Gadjah Mada University Press, Yogyakarta, 577, 583
- Wathoni, N., Rusdiana, T., and Hutagaol, RY, 2009, Antioxidant Gel Formulation Galangal (Alpinia galangalL.Willd) Rhizome Extract Using Aqupec 505 HV Base, Farmaka, 7 (1): 15-27.